AM FT Clinical Research Tech Adv II
SPAULDING CLINICAL aims to be the clinical research organization by which all others are measured. Pioneering in our approach to redefining how the industry perceives and achieves success; passionate in our pursuit of ingenious solutions that mitigate risk; loving in our care for our volunteers, customers and employees; and heroic in our ambitions to ensure the health and safety of people around the globe.
Original Date: 10 Feb 2021
Responsible for advanced technical procedures such as Read Rebreathing procedures,
collecting data points, observation and monitoring of respiratory status and keeping the Principal
Investigator of the study informed. In addition to these procedures other events such as: meal
administration, subject positioning, bag check, vital signs, ECG lead placement, phlebotomy,
urine collection, and height/weight/BMI in the conduct of clinical trials with emphasis on the
safety and welfare of study participants. Performs the practical activities of clinical studies
according to protocol, regulatory requirements, SOPs, scope of practice and current training
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- With supervision, ensures that clinical trials are conducted according to protocol
requirements by utilizing the following techniques & procedures.
- Perform Read Rebreathing Procedure
- Collect data points
- Monitor respiratory status and keep PI informed
- Operate procedure software
- Performs meal administration, ensuring the correct meal and correct content is delivered to
the correct study participant.
- Performs subject bag checks to ensure no contraband is present on study floor
- Performs study activities such as ECG positioning, exercises, or other study procedures
requiring supervision of subjects.
- Performs venipuncture, capillary, and/or IV specimens from study subjects according to
established protocol, maintains aseptic technique.
- Performs proper and accurate sample management, including collection, identification,
transport, and/or processing of biological (blood, urine, etc) subject samples.
- Report any subject complaints of adverse events immediately to Charge staff or Clinical
Research Nurses to ensure appropriate evaluation and treatment.
- Performs and records physical measurements including height, weight, and BMI calculation.
Spaulding Clinical Confidential 2
Clinical Research Technician – Advanced
- Performs and records vital sign measurements (blood pressure, pulse oximetry, heartrate,
temperature, respirations, etc).
- Places ECG electrodes and leads accurately to ensure precise telemetry monitoring.
- Performs additional task list items as delegated and supervised by Charge Staff.
- Reviews Study Specific Trainings and applicable protocols for a thorough understanding of
the study procedures, as they apply to their role and ensures that Delegation of
Authority/Training Log for each study is completed in a proper and timely manner.
- Keeps abreast of SOPs, Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and ICH guidelines, state and
national laws and ethical standards.
- Observes and maintains all HIPAA, OSHA, and Exposure Control regulations and
Emergency Response as required by applicable training.
- Creates and maintains accurate records of all protocol activities and events, as delegated
- Follows progress of volunteers and provides for their care, comfort and safety by attending
to their needs during study participation.
- Participates in quality assurance of clinical research projects and initiates the need for same
as it impacts on clinical practice.
The Statements made in the job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of people assigned to this job.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret the English language.
- Strong ability to multitask and prioritize
- Portrays professionalism in all interactions at Spaulding Clinical.
- Good computer skills; inclination to adopt technology to maximize efficiency
- Demonstrates strong analytical, problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented, good organizational traits.
- Must be results-oriented, multi-tasking, quick learner, respond to the urgent needs of the
team, and show a strong track record of meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work beyond normal work hours and various shift availability required.
- Ability to perform and record data entry via computer systems while conducting timed clinical
- Respiratory Therapist interns preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Spaulding Clinical Confidential 3
Clinical Research Technician – Advanced
Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and use hands along with fingers, to
handle or feel.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include clarity of vision both near and far.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Potential for exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals
- Potential for exposure to blood borne pathogens
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s Degree in a scientific/medical discipline desirable
- Respiratory Therapy students preferred
- Phlebotomy Certificate or associated real-world (on-the-job training) experience required
- Certified Nursing Assistant or Medical Assistant certification highly desirable
- CPR certification required within 6 months of hire or promotion date
Spaulding Clinical Research management has the discretion to hire personnel with a combination of experience and education which may vary from the above listed skills and qualifications.